Landlord Insurance for your Rental Property

Real Estate and Rental Property owners face unique risks and have assets that are important to cover that aren't included on a normal homeowners insurance policy. Another few commonly used terms for Landlord policies are also Fire Dwelling Insurance or Lessor's Risks.

Most landlord policies cover the building, loss of income, personal property, liability coverage, and much more. Many landlords should consider an umbrella policy for increased and unknown liability that could arise in the event something happens on their premises. It is also important to make sure you have enough coverage for your building as well as enough rental income so that your income from your properties continues in the event of a large loss.


Landlord Insurance

Carlson & Associates provides rental property insurance in Northwest including Gig Harbor, Tacoma, Kent, Auburn, Port Orchard and all areas surrounding

Our Partner Companies:


Important Landlord Insurance Coverages

  • Dwelling Limit (Rebuild Cost of Home)
  • Other Structures (Any detached structures)
  • Personal Property
  • Loss of Rental Income
  • Personal Liability
  • Medical Payments to Others
  • Ordinance or Law

Types of Rental Properties we Insure

  • Single Family Homes
  • Duplex, Triplex, and Quad
  • Apartment Complexes
  • Commercial Rentals (Lessor's Risk)
  • Mixed Use Rentals (Business/Apartment Mix)
  • Vacation Rentals (Airbnb, VRBO, Etc.)

Dwelling Coverage (Rebuild Value)

Property or Dwelling Coverage is the what pays to rebuild or repair your rental in the event of a catastrophe such as a fire or windstorm.

Other Structures

Coverage for secondary structures that aren't directly attached to rental home. These could include buildings such as detached garages, sheds, fences, awnings, etc.

Pesonal Property Coverage

You may have furnishings, appliances, and other property in your rentals. This coverage helps you replace these items in the event of a loss such as a fire, theft, water damage and many more.

Fair Rental Value Coverage/Rental Income

If your there is a covered loss to your rental property, this coverage insures that you will continue to receive payment for your loss of income from your tenant.

Personal Liability

This coverage applies if someone is injured or their property is damaged and you are legally responsible. It covers the cost of damages and the cost to defend yourself.


Medical Payments to Others

This covers immediate medical expenses for guests that are injured on your property. It does not cover you or any of your household members.

Ordinance or Law

Covers cost due to change in municipal law or building codes that have changed from the time your structure was built. It covers the additional cost of this for any reconstruction or repair.

Landlord policies can differ drastically  in pricing and the broadness in coverage by the type of policy form you select, the amount of coverage selected. and the type of home that you are insuring.

Everyone’s situation for insurance is unique so it is important to find insurance that fits your needs. One of our insurance professionals can help assess what your needs are and help design a landlord protection insurance plan that will protect you at an affordable cost.

1 Step 1